Tuesday, September 12, 2017

'RESTORING H O P E': Hurricane Katrina Survivor & Advocate for Rebuilding After Harvey!


Recovery After Loss - Helping Others During 'The Grieving Process'





Hello! Over the next few weeks, months, maybe years, so many will need help in so many ways. Thought I'd share what I consider helpful information for those of us who will be looking to help. Understand loss is loss. The same stages of grief you experience when you loose a loved one is the same stages of grief some will go through as they deal with the losses experienced as a result of this disaster. The first two are usually denial and anger. Please, please be patient as people attempt to process what has just happened in their lives. Below are a few more practical tips as we go out to help others. 
Remember words have power so #LeadWithLove
Here are some very good suggestions for helping a friend/neighbor whose home has flooded...
🔸Remember they are going to feel uncomfortable being in such a position of need. It has nothing to do with pride. It's painful to go from being self sufficient one day to suddenly not having a pair of shoes with no car to go and buy some new ones and in some cases no resources. At this stage, try to see a need and fill it without asking "what can I do?" 
🔹Flooded mamas are exhausted and overwhelmed and it's hard to answer that question. At this juncture they may not even know.
If you are going to help a friend clean out their homes, here are a few items that are helpful to bring. 

Cleaning/packing Supplies:
Masks- ventilator
Paper towel
Disposable gloves
Bleach
lysol/clorox wipes
Cardboard boxes
Packing tape
Sharpie
Boxcutters
Hand sanitizer
Handsoap
Mosquito repellent
Snacks:
Water bottles
Fresh fruit and veggies washed and cut up (many have been eating highly processed food out of bags for days)
Ideas for questions to ask:
1. Does everyone in your family have shoes? If not, can I go pick some up? What size?
2. Do you have anyone coming to help you cut out walls? If not, can I call a few water mitigation companies to get quotes for you?
3. Do you have any laundry I can wash?
4. I have some clothes my kids have out grown, what sizes would be helpful?
5. Can I help arrange playdates for your kids?
6. Do you have any medications you would like me to call about getting replaced?
7. I'm making a trip to HEB today, please tell me 3 things I can pickup for you
8. Can I pack a school lunch for your child this week?
9. Is there anywhere I could give you a ride to?
10. I'd like to take you to pickup your rental car. Please call me when it's available.
11. Please call me when you are ready for a ride home after you drop off your rental car.

Check in with your friend a week or two later. There is a lot of help at the beginning. After a few weeks life goes back to normal for most, but flooded families are still trying to find a new normal and may be moving into apartments or juggling car research before a big purchase, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment